有趣英文探討(4) 江銘輝五夢網
16. in full swing (正在全力進行、如火如荼)
英文意思:operating fully ,at its peak (完全展開、達到尖峰)
Swing是搖擺的動作,全然搖擺,也就是比喻一件事情進行到最高潮的意思。
例如:
The party was in full swing when we arrived .
(我們到達時恰值宴會達到高潮。)
This before the promotional campaign is in full swing.
(這在推銷活動之前正處於高潮。)
By now the value analysis study will be in full swing.
(到此,價值分析研究進入關鍵階段。)
The wedding was in full swing,when the witch came in.
(當女巫進來時婚禮正進行得最熱鬧)
he work of Building up the market system has been in full swing.
他的市場體系建設工作,全面展開。
The presidential campaign was in full swing.
(總統競選運動正在全力進行中。)
Preparations for the conference are in full swing.
(會議的籌備工作正在全力地進行。)
17.有錢能使鬼推磨(money talks)
圖:有錢能使鬼推磨
英文意思:money can be powerfull(金錢是萬能的)
money talks直接翻譯是金錢會說話,這比喻作什麼事或買什麼東西,都可由金錢的多寡橫量,也就是作什麼事或買什麼東西,金錢都可以辦到,也就是中文所說的:有錢能使鬼推磨。
例如:
I am wiser than to believe what you call money talks.
(我不至於愚蠢到相信你所謂的金錢萬能的說法。)
Money makes the mare go,money talks
有錢能使鬼推磨,金錢會說話。
The concept that money talks is deeply rooted in modern people ' s minds.
(金錢萬能的觀念深植現代人的心。)
Not radical that money talks, at least the money to test and challenge of aids
(不能偏激的認為金錢萬能,至少,金錢治不好愛滋病。)
Money talks, that ' s for sure . all the best seats were reserved for the big shots.
(錢可通神,一點也不假。所有的好座位都留給了大人物。)
It has been said that money talks, but I rather think that it is beginning to talk too loudly
人常說金錢講話聲音大,我卻寧說它開始講得太大聲了。
That money talks,I 'll not deny . this is the reason why more and more people always commit a crime.
(金錢萬能,這點我不想否認。這也就是為什麼越來越多的人犯罪的原因。)
But what makes headlines ? the salary increases , or the four billion dollar judgment we got for our clients last week .money talks.
(但標題是什麼?薪水不斷增加,我們從客戶手中掙到了四十億美元。錢會說話的。)
18. the sky’s the limit(希望無窮 )
英文意思:there is nothing to prevent someone from accomplishing something(沒有事情,會組阻擋某人完成某事。)
the sky’s the limit英文意思是像天空的極限,也就是希望像天空一樣,一望無邊,像天空那麼大,因此只要肯努力,永遠有成功的機會。
例如:
Order what you want,the sky is the limit.
你要什麼就定購什麼,毫不限制。
The sky is the limit or the milan president.
The sky is the limit when making word work for your work style Word.
在適應您的工作風格方面是沒有限制的。
A: Do you think I can become a great writer.
A:你認為我可以成為一個大作家嗎?
B: The sky’s the limit if you try.
B:只要你肯試,就有無窮的希望。
19. one’s goose is cooked(完蛋了,倒大霉)
英文意思: to be in a lot of trouble (遭遇很大麻煩)
《伊索寓言》裡有一個故事說,一個人有一隻會生金蛋的鵝,但每天只生一個,這人嫌生得慢,拿刀把鵝殺了取蛋,結果鵝死了,蛋也沒了,這個故事寫人又笨又貪心。在中文裡,也有一句“殺雞取卵”的話,正跟英文不謀而合。
鵝既然殺了,就拿來煮了吃,英文“煮了他的鵝”的意思是“鵝被殺了,他也完蛋了”(因為沒有鵝,名譽毀了、計畫垮了、機會丟了等)。
例如:
When the police found his fingerprints he knew his goose was cooked .
(警方發現了他的指紋,他意識到他倒楣了。)
The speeding ticket cooked his goose with his father.
(超速駕駛罰款單使他在他父親那兒倒了霉。)
Her goose was cooked when she was caught cheating on the test.
A: If you don’t hand in the report by tomorrow , your goose was cooked.
你要是明天以前不交報告,你就倒了霉。
B: I know.
B:我知道。
20. to pay the piper(面對事實,承擔後果,承擔費用,支付費用)
英文意思:to face the truth(面對事實)
to pay the piper,英文直譯是付款給吹笛人,聆聽笛子表演時或可達到忘我的境界,但聽完後,回到現時,也應該掏腰包,準備付款。
因此to pay the piper,這個短句有承擔費用、支付費用和承擔後果的意思。
例如:
They who listen to such music may expect to have to pay the piper.
傾聽這種音樂的人,則勢必要出錢。
You have to pay the piper every once in a while
你有時也要承擔一些費用。
Bob had spent all his money and got into debt, so now he must pay the piper.
霍伯已經花光他的錢並負債,現在他自實後果。
A: I lied to my girlfriend yesterday.
A: 我昨天騙了我的女朋友。
B: Sooner or later , she’ll find out and you’ll have to pay the piper.
B:她遲早會發現的,你還是得面對現實。